Monday, November 30, 2015

Three Little Monkeys

I’ve noticed as of late how disturbing and loud the negative voices have been made around me through social media, television and other news outlets. I’m shocked by the unkindness and anger being shown. The lack of respect being given for differences of opinions. The violence being taken in the name of one religion or another. It is a heavy overwhelming feeling.

As a video image popped upon my computer screen today of a man yelling at another and egged on by supporters as the insulted man hung his head at a loss, an image from childhood popped into my head: monkeys, three of them.

When I was a little girl, I loved visiting my nana and granddaddy’s home in Dumas, Arkansas. It had all kinds of nooks and crannies, rooms and levels for exploring and fascinating furniture and décor. It was so very different from my own home, I didn’t want to miss anything so I spent hours taking it all in. I walked in circles around the place, got on my hands and knees to look under things and climbed into boxes and furniture to get a better view. During one such roll about on the green shag carpet in my nana and granddaddy’s television room, I noticed a curious statue in between the levels of the heavy wooden octagon coffee table. It was a greenish brass color and depicted three monkeys in a row. One monkey had its hands over its ears, the next monkey had its hands over its eyes and the next monkey had its hands over its mouth.

Not daring to move the monkeys or to disturb my grandparents’ show, I stared at it intently. Days ticked by during my trip to Dumas, and I kept returning to this interesting little statue. One afternoon, while my granddaddy read the newspaper, I finally asked him about the little monkeys. He lowered his paper, cocked his head to the side and adjusted his glasses to get a better look and said, “Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil.” The sun was streaming through the windows that lined each wall of the room. The light next to my granddaddy lit both the paper and him up. My heart beat a little faster. He went back to reading.

As much as Advent is considered an anticipatory season of hope, it is also a time of penitence and reflection. As of late, I’ve found myself wishing my heart and mind were a little more centered. I’ve found myself a little uncomfortable with my own thoughts and wondering how or why I’ve said and done or not done certain things. I’ve been pondering all of this in my heart and considered what I can do to make a change.

I find myself wanting to remember the words of my grandfather and the wisdom of those three little monkeys. I don’t want to give power to evil by hearing, seeing or speaking it. I know I can do better and will feel better for it.

Hear No Evil

See No Evil

Speak No Evil

With love and light,
LT



No comments:

Post a Comment