Sunday, December 6, 2015

New Light

I love learning. Since childhood, I have loved exploring, whether in a museum, a library or the yard. I love listening. I love hearing new perspectives, stories and music. I’m thankful that every time I hear or see something, whether it’s been around for years, there is always something new to discover. I think this is one of the reasons I am so drawn to liturgical seasons and celebrations. There is always so much more to learn. The readings follow a cycle that allows us to revisit them time and time again.

This Sunday, the second Sunday in Advent, the Gospel was of John’s voice calling to us from the wilderness in Luke 3:1-6. For many years, I’ve heard the different versions of John’s ministry. I know this was certainly not the first time I’ve read Luke’s version, but it was the first time in my now many years that I realized what the repetition of the prophet Isaiah’s words were asking of me. Here’s verses 3:3-6.

He went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah,
“The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
‘Prepare the way of the Lord,
    make his paths straight.
Every valley shall be filled,
    and every mountain and hill shall be made low,
and the crooked shall be made straight,
    and the rough ways made smooth;
and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’”

I’ve always read this as Jesus would be the one filling the valleys, making the mountains low and those crooked paths straight once He arrived. This year, it finally dawned on me that John was not telling us what Jesus would do but was instead calling us to prepare the way for Jesus in our own lives. We are being asked to fill those valleys, to level all those hills and mountains and no matter how hard it may be to straighten our paths and make the rough ways smooth.

I’m so glad I was surrounded by friends when I came to this realization, friends who empathize with me in how hard these statements are to fulfill. Our eyes, ears and hearts were all open to this old yet new idea. How wonderful again to have such a lovely reminder that within the challenges of life there is a great gift awaiting us in our efforts to keep straight the path and to recognize life’s highs and lows by staying balanced. I am grateful for the new light shed on this reading and yet another opportunity to feel God’s redeeming grace. I hope you find comfort and joy this Advent, too, and time and time again. I know the road gets crooked sometimes; just remember, there will always be a voice in the wilderness crying out to you.

With love and light,

LT

No comments:

Post a Comment