Monday, October 19, 2015

Shaped by Childhood

Link to Amazon.com
It’s my mother’s birthday, and I have childhood on the brain. With 7 and 9 year olds on my hands, you might not find this surprising. Additionally, I work in the admission office of a school and am surrounded by children on a daily basis.
I haven’t been able to escape the thought lately that I learned everything I need to know as a child. When I turned 16, my godmother gave me a book entitled “Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.” I thought the book entertaining at the time, but as I now watch generations of children transition to adulthood I am taking it more and more seriously. Now experts around the world have published document after document about the importance of childhood development not only for the individual but also for the success of communities at large.
I can look fondly on my childhood. In fact, the ugliness that has come along with adulthood has been softened or dismissed by falling back on lessons learned as a young person supported by loving parents and a caring community of friends and positive mentors.
There, of course, have been some nuances I’ve gathered over the years about how to diplomatically and energetically manage various situations I’ve approached in adulthood. If I am honest though, everything I am today can be traced back to childhood. I was treated with great kindness. When I made mistakes, I was carefully and lovingly redirected. This does not mean my mistakes were without punishment, but within them, I was allowed to correct myself and grow from the experience. I was told no aplenty, but I was never in need. 
I was given the opportunity to pursue my passions. If it was positive, my parents encouraged it. I may not have always had individualized attention in the classroom, but I knew I was safe and had access too much. I was taken to church regularly and felt comfortable in seeking help from God. My friends were close, supportive, and we shared interests that kept us out of trouble (most of it). Not all the girls and boys were nice, but at least one friend could always be counted on. 
We danced. We played tennis and dress up and climbed trees. We loved our siblings (and yelled at them sometimes, too; this still makes me feel guilty). We had pets that showered us with love, and we took joy in loving them back. Trips outside of town were a special treat. We were encouraged to take notice of different cities, museums, music and the beauty in nature. Being near water, whether an ocean, lake or sprinkler, brought great happiness.
All of this I can call back on. All of this can bring light to the darkness. All of these memories, this foundation, help me find the right direction.
I can hope that your foundation was as strong as mine. But I do know, for so many, this was not a similar experience. Childhood was not what it could have been. Innocence and hope were lost.
I am so sorry for this.
I can see now the sad children in the sad adults, the angry adults who as children were yelled at or ignored or worse. I can’t change their childhoods, but I can make room for their sadness. I can take a deep breath, and I can pray love upon them. I can also work hard not to cast judgment. 
I can also try my best to support the children of today. What can I give them so that they might have a glimpse of all that is possible? What strength can I build in them now that will last a lifetime?
If you’re wrestling with questions about today’s society and what can be done, or if you’re feeling a new calling, please do a search for what’s happening in your local community to support children? 
If our adult lives are ultimately shaped by our childhoods, shouldn’t we start as early as possible in helping others? 
It could be helping to establish or to help in a preschool. Babysitting for a neighbor and helping his or her child learn to read or just being kind to him or her. What about tutoring a lower school or middle school student? What about serving as a Sunday school teacher or looking into a mentoring program? Monetary support towards these programs is always helpful, but you might be ready to make a connection with a young person that needs just you!
Teachers, I encourage and salute you! Love on! Mentors, thank you! Give on! Neighbors, yes, keep watch and be supportive! Parents, you are so very important! Take a deep breath and let in the strength and peace of God. Enjoy your children and give them a strong foundation! Friends, Jesus encouraged the little children to come to him; let’s clear the way and protect their precious, innocent, creative and enthusiastic hearts!
Hope can abound! Love can abound! Let’s give these kids a chance. I thank God everyday that I had one.
Please, dear Lord, give me the strength to give my children hearts full of love and light to carry them through this lifetime. Give us all the power to grant peace and love to the many who have missed this opportunity in the past. Help us lift them up to a place of peace so that they can recognize the love and light that truly surrounds them. And for every child in our lives, whether we know their names or not, help us make a positive difference in their lives. Help them to know that they are loved and that they are full of light.
I ask your grace be upon the adults of this world who were never shown kindness as a child. Please let love be shown them in such a way that their hearts may be so mended and encouraged.
I thank you so much for the love and light shown to me as a child. I am grateful for the foundation.
With love and light,
LT

No comments:

Post a Comment