Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Just Notice


My mom is an incredible birder.

As a child, I was not always thrilled to be dragged through various bird sanctuaries in search of feathered friends. I have a particularly vivid memory of being tricked into one last drive through the bird sanctuary after thinking I had managed to avoid an entire vacation without purposely looking at a bird. That being shared, I cannot put into words how thankful I am that my mom loves birds and that she and my father continuously asked us as children to take notice, not to miss what might be right in front of our eyes, to look beyond the surface, to take in and ruminate over the details of the world around us.

When you’re birding, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. Your eyes are scanning through trees and brush and across water looking for the slightest movement or flicker of color. What a triumphant moment it is to spot an indigo bunting or a family of whooping cranes or a yellow-crowned night heron. My mother particularly loves identifying the skittering shore birds of various shades of brown that blur together as they wade through the water. “Aha, a Marbled Godwit” she cries! I’m delighted with a meadowlark on a fence post.

Because of moments such as this, my eyes were trained to spot beauty, even a miniscule version. I was taught to stop and look. I was challenged to look outside of my current state to what might be changing around me. These lessons also gently shared that joy could be found anywhere and at any time. You just had to be willing to stay alert and take notice.

I believe small moments of discovery can make life richer. Taking the time to stop and smell the blossoms along your path, accepting a compliment, looking at the cloud formations, studying a painting, taking on a new practice, noticing the bird along the edge of the water or the changing colors in the leaves, can all lead to open hearts, hearts willing to, if only for a moment, let in God’s love and light.

When we acknowledge those moments, whether we realize it or not, we become reflections of that shared love and light. Not only are we filled with comfort, but we also bring comfort to those around us.

I’m aware that this trained eye to beauty and creation is not lost on the rest of the world that is not so pretty. I am often reminded of the story of Lazarus, not the story about how Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead but the story in which day after day after day after day the rich man walks over poor, starving Lazarus crippled at his doorstep. The rich man either purposely ignores him or never notices him.

We have been given an unbelievably beautiful world full of creatures of all shapes, sizes and walks of life with whom to share it. Let’s give thanks for it and take time to appreciate it. At the same time, let’s realize that not everyone is enjoying it the same way we are. Perhaps they didn’t grow up with loving parents who trained them through forced birding expeditions. Maybe they didn’t have a support system to help them through school or enough food on the table or the medication they needed or a kind word to help them through the fear they were experiencing.

Let’s take notice of God’s love and light being shared with us today and everyday, let us enjoy it and reflect that love and light to those unnoticed.

With love and light, 
LT

No comments:

Post a Comment